Visa Information for China River Cruises

China River CruiseNow that I got you excited about a river cruise on China’s Yangtze River after my last post, it’s time talk about what you need to enter the country aside from a passport: a visa. Your passport must not expire no less than 6 months at the time your trip ends.

River cruise lines take no responsibility processing or obtaining your visa and refer you a third party to provide this service. When you work with your River Cruise Specialist in booking your trip, he or she will walk you through how to get your visa and the proper travel documentation.

The sooner you look into this, the better. Check specific visa requirements by visiting the following links for the cruise lines sailing the Yangtze River:


Avalon refers travelers to Generations Visa Service (GenVisa).  If you’re sailing with Avalon and decide to use GenVisa’s service, make sure you identify as an Avalon customer as you’ll receive preferred discounted rates for visa and passport services.


Those traveling with Uniworld may use the service of VisaCentral. If your itinerary includes Tibet, Uniworld notes on their website, “no visa is required, but a permit is required and will be handled in China. Please do not mention Tibet when you apply for a China visa; otherwise you will need to provide a lot of additional documentation. Passengers only need to apply for a single entry China visa.”


Viking is partnered with GenVisa as well.

Have a question about Yangtze River Cruises or travel to China? Leave us a comment below or connect with us on Twitter.

Share this postTwitterFacebookGoogle+EmailReddittumblrPinterest

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>